Friday, March 27, 2009

Weekly Recommendation: New Testament Textual Criticism

After Wednesday Nights Bible study, I've been thinking about resources on textual criticism that would be helpful. It should be stated from the outset that textual criticism is a difficult subject and discipline. The goal is to figure out what the apostles actually wrote. If you are interested in learning more about textual criticism, I recommend the book, "New Testament Textual Criticism: A Concise Guide" by David Alan Black. I read this whenever I took my Greek Syntax class and I highly recommend it.

I have written a review for it. It is easy to read, brief, and doesn't try to make things harder than they need to be. However, if you have very little background into this study, then regardless of who teaches or writes on the subject, it will be very difficult.

And since we're talking about textual criticism, here is your homework assignment:

Are these texts original or were they added at a later date? We will talk about it next Wednesday. Enjoy!

  • Mark 16:9-20
  • John 7:53-8:11

No comments: