Friday, March 27, 2009

"Forgive Them, For They Know Not What They Do" - A Lesson on Forgiveness

Perhaps many of you remember the shooting that took place a few years ago where the senior pastor was shot and killed before the very eyes of his congregation. Since those events, the pastors family have reached out to the gunman offering forgiveness and praying that he will embrace the good news of Jesus Christ.

At this point, I have to admit that I don't know if I would be so bold, so . . . godly. Could I ever forgive and even pray for the one who killed my spouse? I have a lot to learn here.

But as we continue to march through the final week in the life of Jesus, this story reminds me of one of Jesus' seven statements on the cross, "forgive them for they know not what they do." Imagine, praying for forgiveness of your own executionors. It really puts things into perspective doesn't it? If Christ, and this wife, can forgive so much, how could I not forgive so little?

Who do you need to forgive today?



No comments: