Friday, April 19, 2013

Simul justus et peccator: Luther & the Heart of the Gospel

Sunday we will be examining Jonah 2 which is a psalm of thanksgiving and repentance. Jonah is a believer who has rebelled. Nonetheless, God's grace reaches him even at the bottom of the sea. This is good news. I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ and yet I find myself always failing. Though I seek the glory of Christ and daily fight to live a holy life, I find myself oftentimes losing. So what hope do I have?

The answer to this question is found in Martin Luther's coined phrase simul justus et peccator (that is, "Simultaneously righteous & a sinner). What Luther meant by that is explained by Dr. RC Sproul in the video below. In short, if you can understand this concept you can understand the gospel.


What Does "Simul Justus et Peccator" Mean? from Ligonier Ministries on Vimeo.



For more:
I Hear You: A Sermon Illustration
April 7, 2013 | John 1:1-3 - You Can Run But Not Hide: Why That is Really Good News
How Are We to Understand Jonah: As Historical?
How Are We to Understand Jonah: As Midrash?
How Are We to Understand Jonah: As Allegorical?
Holman Dictionary on Jonah
Bibledex on Jonah
VeggieTales and Jonah  

No comments: