Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Russell Moore on Why We Should Hate the Sanctity of Life Sunday

Sunday is Sanctity of Life Sunday and it looks like this year we will be participating in it. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the cursed day that abortion was legalized by an oligarchy at the Supreme Court.

To prepare for this service and this day, I want to encourage you to read the helpful article by Dr. Russell Moore, the VP at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (my alma mater), on why he hates that such a day is necessary, but is hopeful that it won't always be.

I hate Sanctity of Human Life Sunday because I’m reminded that we have to say things to one another that human beings shouldn’t have to say. Mothers shouldn’t kill their children. Fathers shouldn’t abandon their babies. No human life is worthless, regardless of skin color, age, disability, economic status. The very fact that these things must be proclaimed is a reminder of the horrors of this present darkness. . . . 

I hate Sanctity of Human Life Sunday because I’m reminded that as I’m preaching there are babies warmly nestled in wombs who won’t be there tomorrow. I’m reminded that there are children, maybe even blocks from my pulpit, who’ll be slapped, punched, and burned with cigarettes before nightfall. I’m reminded that there are elderly men and women languishing away in loneliness, their lives pronounced to be a waste.

But I also love Sanctity of Human Life Sunday when I think about the fact that in our churches there are ex-orphans all around, adopted into loving families. I love to reflect on the men and women who serve every week in pregnancy centers for women in crisis. And I love to see men and women who have aborted babies find their sins forgiven, even this sin, and their consciences cleansed by Christ.
We’ll always need Christmas. We’ll always need Easter. But I hope, please Lord, someday soon, that Sanctity of Human Life Day is unnecessary.

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments: