Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 21, 2012 | Philippians 3:1-11: The Joy of a Pure Gospel

Religion is a cancer. In Philippians 3, Paul turns to challenge the Judaizers in the congregation. These false teachers are promoting a gospel of works. They are telling the congregation that unless they obey the Mosaic Law they are not saved. Religion is a corruption of the gospel. Paul, in this passage, compares religion to manure and rightly so. The problem is, however, that most of us are swimming in it. Religion leads to either pride or despair. It never leads to joy.

Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things again is no trouble to me, and it is a safeguard for you.
 
Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.




Notes
Audio



September 2, 2012 | Philippians 1:1-11 - The Joy of Thanksgiving & Prayer 
September 16, 2012 | Philippians 1:19-30 - The Joy of the Future
September 23, 2012 | Philippians 2:1-4: The Joy of Humility
September 30, 2012 | Philippians 2:5-11: The Joy of Holy Condescension
October 7, 2012 | Philippians 2:12-30: The Joy of Sanctification


For more:
Driscoll on Consumers vs. Worshippers
April 3, 2011 | Matthew 12:1-21 - The Burden of Religion and the Rest of the Gospel
August 29, 2010 - Matthew 7:15-12: Watch for False Gospels
Final Week of Jesus: The Cleansing of Religion - Mark 11:12-20

No comments: